Montgomery County was established by dividing Monroe County on December 6, 1816, by the Mississippi Territorial Legislature. It is named for Lemuel P. Montgomery, a young U.S. Army officer killed at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, the final battle of the Creek Indian war, which was waged concurrently with the War of 1812.
The city of Montgomery, which is the county seat, is named for Richard Montgomery, an American Revolutionary War general killed in 1775 while attempting to capture Quebec City, Canada.
Elmore County was created by the Alabama legislature on Feb. 15, 1866; from parts of Autauga, Coosa, Montgomery, and Tallapoosa Counties. It was named for Gen. John Archer Elmore, a veteran of the American Revolution and early settler of Alabama. Elmore County has a total area of 657 miles. Of that total, 622 miles of it is land and 35 miles of it is water.
Elmore County lies in the east-central part of the state. It is drained by the Coosa and the Tallapoosa Rivers, which merge to form the Alabama River a few miles south of Wetumpka. The French established Fort Toulouse at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa in 1717, upon which site Gen. Andrew Jackson erected Fort Jackson in 1814, following the Battle of Horseshoe Bend.
Autauga County is a friendly community in the Appalachian foothills with gently rolling land, outcropping of mountains and valleys. The county was named for Autauga Creek, which runs through it. We have a splendid climate and an abundance of natural beauty. The lifestyle here is leisurely and outdoor recreation is plentiful. Newcomers are amazed by the variety of exquisite home sites and “buyer market” values.